Friday, May 7, 2010

The Damask Pattern: Why It Will Never Go Out of Style



Damask (dam·ask ): n  a firm lustrous fabric (as of linen, cotton, silk, or rayon) made with flat patterns in a satin weave on a plain-woven ground on jacquard looms.
Damask is a patterned textile, deriving its name from the fine patterned fabrics produced in Damascus (Syria) in the European Middle Ages. True damask was originally wholly of silk, but gradually the name came to be applied to a certain type of patterned fabric regardless of fibre.
Today you can purchase just about anything in a damask pattern- from pillows to sofas, linens to wallpapers, invitations to napkins. Damask is not only whimsical and elegantly appointed but the perfect accent for so many occasions.
Today's weddings are not the exception. Absolutely nothing sets off a chic color scheme like an elegant dose of damask pattern adorning your invitations, custom postage stamps, table settings, and gift boxes. Your event will literally pop off the page with the timeless floral pattern of toiles and damasks. Even The Knot has an entire section dedicated to Damask Wedding Ideas!  Today's brides and designers that seek elegance and luxury, have continued to agree with history by keeping up the Damask themed wedding as one of the hottest trends this year. Whether you offer guests at your bridal shower something chic such as Damask Boxes lined with luxurious silk and a pretty little gift or you give your reception tables a pop of style with damask candle favors - Damask will assure guests will leave the event with radiant memories.
So let's start with the invitations. There is something about damask that exudes a tasteful elegance and a nostalgia for vintage and things of past.  At the same time it is also very modern, making this the perfect choice for wedding invitations. In 2010 we are seeing the mismatched bridesmaids dresses, strapless wedding dresses and low cost alternative wedding favors. What better than to tie the entire affair together than the vintage and classic damask patterned invitation?
As a little note about me, I have been affiliated with ZAZZLE since early 2006. Hoping to be able to some day "break away" from the drudgery of my "real job" I began posting photography from the San Juan Islands, where I had just recently moved. Soon thereafter I found myself fascinated by the concept of design, purchased Adobe Photoshop, read tons of tutorials, bought a MAC and opened up my next three storefronts on Zazzle, all of which were dedicated to designing graphics for brides to be and party planners. In 2009, the "break away" occurred when my employer outsourced my position of 7 years and I found myself solely dependent on design work and photography. Today I am proud to say that Zazzle has provided the inroads to a new career and I am pleased to say that I am one of the seven top designers on board with their team of millions around the world. Our designs paired with the quality products Zazzle offers has allowed me to realize that dream of "getting away from the corporate world." Today I enjoy the opportunity to work with brides to be, moms planning customized Bat Mitzvahs and people planning events all over the world. Can you say "I love my job?"

The Damask Diva Shoppe was my fourth venture at Zazzle. The entire suite of designs and custom services are focused on one pattern: DAMASK.  Custom invitations for weddings, bridal showers and birthday parties, coupled with coordinating US POSTAGE STAMPS, save the date magnets and envelope seals really makes this storefront an easily accessible shop that allows the busy party planner to make purchases at a single sitting. Each invitation you'll see here comes with the entire suite of coordinating wedding papers- invites, reply cards, etc. Some of the MOST POPULAR DESIGNS include the following and you can click on the photos for details and close ups!



DAMASK WEDDING INVITATIONS







Click here to see more damask wedding invites!



Next post will focus on damask bridal showers and baby showers! Stay tuned and contact me at limekilnwhalewatcher@yahoo.com for any custom invitation requests! Happy Parties!



No comments: